Sunday, February 1, 2009

मुझ से पहली सी मोहब्बत

A lovely nazm by Faiz sung in the haunting voice of Noor Jehan. The song is from a movie but this picturization was more interesting.



मुझ से पहेली सी मुहब्बत मेरे महबूब न मांग
Don't ask me for the love I once gave you, my love


मैंने समझा था के तू है तो दरख्शां है हयात
I had thought if I had you, life would shine eternally on me

तेरा ग़म है तो ग़म-ऐ-दहर का झगडा क्या है
If I had your sorrows, those of the universe would mean nothing

तेरी सूरत से है आलम में बहारों को सबात
Your face would bring permanence to every spring

तेरी आखों के सिवा दुनिया में रक्खा क्या है
What is there but your eyes to see in the world anyway

तू जो मिल जाए तो तकदीर निगूँ हो जाए
If I found you, my fate would bow down to me

यूँ न था मैंने फ़क़त चाहा था यूँ हो जाए
This was not how it was, it was merely how I wished it to be


अनगिनत सदियों की तारिक बहिमाना तलिस्म
The dreadful magic of uncountable dark years

रेशम-ओ-अतलस-ओ-कमख्वाब में बुनवाये हुए
Woven in silk, satin and brocade

जा-बा-जा बिकते हुए कूचा-ओ-बाज़ार में जिस्म
In every corner are bodies sold in the market

ख़ाक में लिथडे हुए खून में नहलाये हुए
Covered in dust, bathed in blood

लौट जाती है उधर को भी नज़र क्या कीजिए
Still returns my gaze in that direction, what can be done

अब भी दिलकश है तेरा हुस्न मगर क्या कीजे
Even now your beauty is tantalizing, but what can be done

और भी दुःख हैं ज़माने में मोहब्बत के सिवा
There are other heartaches in the world than those of love

रहते और भी है वस्ल की राहत के सिवा
There is happiness other than the joy of union

4 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up! Faiz rules... He throws the prettiest of words with the ease of weaving a garland of pearls! And to fit this song for a video like this was indeed out-of-the-box thinking. Class! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say what I enjoy more... the words or the voice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading somewhere that Faiz never recited the poem after he heard Noor Jehan sing it, saying that he could never compete with her rendition of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it! Highest compliment to Noor Jehan! :-)

    ReplyDelete