Friday, February 20, 2009

The Yukon Song

My tiger friend has got the sled,
And I have packed a snack.
We're all set for the trip ahead.
We're never coming back!

We're abandoing this life we've led!
So long, Mom and Pop!
We're sick of doing what youve said,
And now it's going to stop!

We're going where it snows all year,
Where life can have real meaning.
A place where we wont have to hear,
"Your room could stand some cleaning."

The Yukon is the place for us!
That's where we want to live.
Up there we'll ge to yell and cuss
And act real primitive.

We'll never have to go to school,
Forced into submission,
By monst, crabby teachers who'll
Make us learn addition.

We'll never have to clean a plate,
Of veggie glops and goos.
Messily we'll masticate,
Using any fork we choose!

The timber wolves will be our friends.
Well stay up late and howl,
At the moon, till nightmare ends,
Before going on the prowl.

Oh, what a life! we cannot wait,
To be in that arctic land,
Where we'll be masters of our fate,
And lead a life that's grand!

No more of parental rules!
We're heading for some snow!
Good riddance to those grown-up-ghouls!
We're leaving! Yukon Ho!

- Bill Waterson

9 comments:

  1. Someone remind me to get these books off shelves before Arul starts reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where life can have real meaning.
    A place where we wont have to hear,
    "Your room could stand some cleaning."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watterson! Continues to impress & inspire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will soon be the one to say those words, not hear someone else say them to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I ever could be such a "respected" and "mommy-like" person. Right now I am touted as the "bahut shaitan" person in our household. Sigh! Maybe I should start saying things like clean up your room and eat your veggies.

    Though I am coming to believe that books you read while expecting do influence the kid. Arul sees monsters under the table, has to be dragged to bath, makes a bridge over the bathtub to keep from going in, plays with a cardboard box, goes around with his bear...
    I am waiting for him to cecede

    Though it makes me all the more glad that I didn't read Gita... wonder what all he would have said to us had I done that!

    :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This song reminds me the "rock candy mountain" song from O Brother Where Art Thou movie. The Coen brothers are possibly inspired by Watterson. Considering that most of their movies have very witty dialog exchanges...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a nice movie. Remember it had insprired Atul to tie his kids up one after the other with a string when going for a walk :) I would love to see him try that with Arul :).
    It had another good song... can't remember which one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'll fly away"? What a creative movie that one was!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or maybe "Constant sorrow", for I loved that one too :-)

    ReplyDelete